The centerpiece of Summerfield is the golf course which runs through much of the community. This hidden gem in Tigard is a nine-hole course designed by Theodore G. (Ted) Robinson in 1973.
Robinson has designed courses all over the world, especially in the Northwest, Southern California and the Pacific Rim. Some of his better known courses include:
- Sahalee Country Club, Sammamish, WA
- Meridian Valley Country Club, Kent WA
- Highland Golf Course, Cosmopolis WA
- Charbonneau in Wilsonville, OR
- Mission Bay Golf Course, San Diego CA
- Rancho Bernardo Inn Resort, San Diego CA
- Mission Lakes Country Club, Desert Hot Springs CA
- Rancho Mirage Country Club, Rancho Mirage CA
- Rancho Las Palmas Golf Course, Rancho Mirage CA
- Ironwood Country Club, Palm Desert CA
- Desert Horizon Country Club, Indian Wells CA
- As well as courses in Mexico, Hawaii and Japan
The Summerfield Golf course has long been characterized by its lush, well-maintained fairways and greens, due in large part to its long-time course superintendent, Rick Sullivan, who was selected by the Oregon Golf Course Superintendents’ Association as its “2013 Superintendent of the Year.”
Rick retired in 2021 after 44 years and was replaced by his long-time assistant Zach Palmer, who in his first year as head golf course superintendent was also named as Oregon’s “Superintendent of the Year.” Others who were responsible for making Summerfield the wonderful golf experience it has become are its golf professionals. Recent head golf professionals include outstanding Portland-area golfer Bill Houston (1989-2003), Todd Demerest (2003-2011), and our current head pro, Rob Lindsey (2011-current). Rob came to Summerfield after spending time as a teaching professional at Arnold Palmer Management Company (1996-2001) and in 2002 was named as one “Top Golf Instructors” in the United States.